Making a difference in the lives of others – The Good Shepherd Medical Center Auxiliary.
The Good Shepherd Auxiliary is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization dedicated to serving Good Shepherd Medical Center. The Auxiliary’s mission is to provide charitable services and support to the Medical Center and the community.
Community members established the Auxiliary to Good Shepherd Medical Center in 1956. Over the years, Auxilians have helped with admissions, delivered patient mail and flowers, established a gift shop that serves hospital staff, patients, and visitors. Proceeds from the operation of the gift shop and the annual Style Show and Luncheon have allowed the Auxiliary to provide
financial support to the Medical Center.
Volunteer opportunities vary almost as much as the personalities of those who serve. Auxilians choose to work in a wide range of departments providing needed assistance to patients and visitors. Some of those areas where volunteers may choose to serve include: Gift Shop, Information Desk, Waiting Rooms, Medical Library, Registration, Breast Center, and the Institute for Healthy Living. Auxiliary volunteers also create gifts for patients like Christmas stockings for babies born during the holiday season, Dandle dolls to soothe NICU babies and making walker bags for rehabilitation patients.
To become a Good Shepherd Volunteer, apply online by using our online application form, or print one of the forms below, complete it, and mail it to the address below.
Senior Volunteer Requirements:
• At least 19 years of age.
• Be of sound mind and body as to be able to execute the duties of a Good Shepherd Medical Center volunteer in keeping with medical center policies and procedures at all times, while maintaining a mature, professional, and charitable attitude.
• Agree to work an assigned shift in an assigned area, reporting to work as directed.
• Attend orientation, training and inservice education as required by the volunteer department or medical center.
• Wear the regulation uniform of the volunteer department or auxiliary while on duty, as described in the dress code.
• Pay annual membership dues of $10.00 for auxiliary membership or a $5.00 registration fee for the community volunteer program.
• Support the fundraising activities of the Good Shepherd Medical Center Auxiliary either financially or in kind.
Our Junior Volunteer program goes through July. Students are welcome to work into August with the permission of their supervisor.
The program is on a first come first serve basis depending on the number of placements we have in that year.
Please call 903-315-2199, after the first of the year, to place your student on our waiting list to apply.
Students must apply every year to volunteer.
Junior Volunteer Requirements:
• Must be 14 years of age by June 1st of the current year and going into the 9th grade. A GPA of at least 3.0 is required.
• A first year summer volunteer must have 2 TB screenings and they must be completed prior to volunteering. They must be able to attend the ½ day of Orientation, which will be held June 17, 2013 (mandatory). A recommendation from a counselor, principal or teacher must accompany the completed application.
If you are interested in providing a gift of your time and would like more information, please call the Department of Volunteer Services at (903) 315-2199.