History of Longview
More than 70 years of dedication and service
Innovation, dedication and continuing community support have propelled Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview to the forefront of health care delivery in East Texas. From its beginning in 1935 as the 47-bed Gregg Memorial Hospital to its present position as a licensed 425-bed regional referral center for specialized care, everyone at Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview strives to give our best to every patient.
Originally affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, the diocese had the responsibility of appointing the hospital’s board. The hospital’s first expansion program was completed in 1951, raising the capacity of the facility to 80 beds. A second construction program completed in 1959 raised the capacity to 145 beds. In 1959 the center assumed the operations of Gregg Memorial Hospital from the Gregg County Commissioners Court.
In January 1972, a major construction program was completed in which the original 1935 hospital building was demolished and replaced with a four-story building containing modern equipment and constructed on a foundation capable of carrying three additional floors. The new building contained 255 beds. In 1976, the hospital became self-perpetuating when the diocese asked to be released from its obligations.
In 1981, the hospital became known as Good Shepherd Medical Center. Also in 1981, an 80-bed addition was completed which expanded the medical center’s capacity to 335 beds used primarily for general medical and surgery.
In 2002 the east tower was constructed, which included a new comprehensive heart center, a new day surgery suite, an expanded 40-bed emergency department, and new nursing units which include 76 monitored beds, three monitored VIP Shepherd Suites, and a 26-bed inpatient rehabilitation facility among the 135-bed private rooms.
Good Shepherd has continued to enhance technology and respond to the growing health care needs of East Texas and opened the area’s first neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in 2004. The NICU is able to provide specialized care for premature babies 26 weeks gestation and older and full-term babies born with special needs. In 2008, the capacity of the NICU was doubled to 13 beds, in order to address the ongoing need to keep families together at this important early stage of life.
Good Shepherd Medical Center’s Level III NICU has expanded to 31 beds to meet the special needs of high risk infants. In addition, Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview operates as a Level II Trauma Center and becomes the first in Gregg County and the surrounding counties to provide Level II trauma care.
As Gregg County’s largest employer, Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview has a significant economic impact on East Texas with more than 2,400 employees. This impact takes on greater importance as the level of charity care continues to rise. As a not-for-profit organization, Good Shepherd provided more than $241 million of uncompensated care in 2011. There is no local, state or federal tax support for this care. Good Shepherd continues to meet an ever-increasing demand for medical services as Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements continue to decrease.